Pet insurance

Do we need to insure your dog in Spain?

Potentially dangerous dogs, known in Spain as PPP which stands for “perros potencialmente peligrosos”, must be insured by law.

There is a public list available indicating the breeds that need an insurance and require you to have a license.
In order to get your licence for a potentially dangerous dog Spanish law requires you to sign a civil liability insurance for damages to third parties with a coverage of no less than € 120,000. Note that local regulations can impose more specific and stricter rules.

Although you might think otherwise, this topic is strictly handled in Spain.


Insuring other dog Breeds

You must also insure other dogs whose bites can cause major injuries. Generally speaking, any robust, muscular dog with a strong character, short hair, wide and short neck, strong chest, big head with broad skull and deep jaw. Bear in mind that a veterinarian could also request that your dog in particular should be considered potentially dangerous and therefore needs an insurance.

The situation is different for non-dangerous dogs and may vary depending on where you live. Although there is no compulsory insurance under the Spanish law there are other regional or local regulations which might require you to get a dog insurance regardless of the breed or whether you plan to travel with your pet or not.
Some companies include small pets in the home and liability insurance.

We will assist you in finding the necessary coverage for you!


Make your inquiry without any commitment!

If you are interested in getting a quotation, we need to know some basic details.
Please fill in the questionnaire and send it to us at: egner@egner-consult.comno obligations of course.